The term Amazon refers to the mother of an abundant variety of nature, culture, and the topography. Along with the unique and mind-boggling biodiversity, the cultural and ecological variation is the preliminary feature of Nepal.
In Nepal, the altitude ranges from lowest at 70 meters to 8848 meters above the sea-level. With this variation in the altitude, the habitat of hundreds of flora and fauna also varies. This land of unique biodiversity and the ecosystem makes it popular in the world.
The land is famous as the Amazon of Asia because of the following reasons:
- Nepal proudly boasts over a 900 strong variety of rare plus colorful species of birds, which account for around 9 % of the total bird species in the world.
- There are 650 types of butterflies in Nepal which roughly account for around 4.2 % of all butterflies in the world.
- Atlas Moth- one of the largest moth in the world is found in Nepal.
- Nepal homes some of the largest and the dangerous honeybees in the world.
- Swamp Deers’ largest herd rests in the pasture land of the Shukla Phanta wildlife reserve.
- Nepal is a favorable habitat of the Snow Leopard, Musk Deer, One-horned Rhino, Swamp Deer.
- The natural breeding ground of the long-snouted Gharial crocodile is located in this Nepalese wonderland in the Koshi river.
- Nepal is the home for the Royal Bengal Tiger which is among the popular in the world.
- Nepal also has an incredible variety of around 5980 types of flowering plants which account for 2.4 percent of similar plants worldwide. Out of these, at least 250 species of flowering plants are endemic or unique to Nepal.
- There are more than 360 types of orchids in Nepal which is 2% of the world’s orchid variety. Plus, 6% of the world’s rhododendron species bloom in the hills of Nepal.
- The blue poppy plant, only unique to Nepal, grows here at a groundbreaking height of 5400 meters.
- Nepal features 10 National Parks, 3 Wildlife Reserves, 6 Conservation Areas, 1 Hunting Reserve and 12 Buffer Zones. These ecological specialties cover around 23.3% of the total area of Nepal.
- Nepal is a home of 125 different groups and ethnic communities with around 120 different languages across Nepal with varying dialects.
- The capital city of Kathmandu boasts 7 world heritage UNESCO sites. These landmarks span a radius of just over 15 kilometers but still serve to make Kathmandu the only city in the world with such richness and diversity.
- ‘The only living’ virgin Goddess or Kumari who is held in high esteem resides in Nepal.
- Nepal is a country popular for the highest human settlements and farming in the world.
- From the hot and humid sub-Tropical Terai climate to the Alpine climate, you find the variation in the weather and climatic conditions with the variation in altitude and geography.
- In addition to the famous Mount Everest, Nepal boasts 8 out of the 14 highest mountains in the entire world.
- There are various snow-covered peaks, glaciers, glacial lakes, freshwater lakes, perennial rivers, marshlands and various such features in Nepal.
- The Geographical Nepalese statistics are also conducive to encouraging major trekking and all kinds of adventure sports ranging from bungee jumping, marathons, rafting, and paragliding right up to extreme mountain biking, skiing, and kayaking. So, there is something for everyone over here.
These are few distinct features of Nepal which contribute to make it the unique nation in Nepal. Though the nation is minimal in terms of territory, the richness of the vegetation, ethnic groups, and multilingual aspects are the eternal possessions of the country.
Nepal is an ethnic, cultural, natural, and ecological museum that showcases a gigantic variety of heritage, plants, animals, people, lifestyles, and the varying topography.
With such varying specialties and uniqueness Nepal is best termed as an Amazon of Asia.
Please feel free to add any more information or relevant tidbits in the comment section below.