The Everest Gokyo trek is a fascinating journey to the Everest region of Nepal. It is the best alternative of classic Everest Base Camp trek. The Everest Gokyo trek itinerary differs according to the various places you would like to include and with the number of days you prefer for the trek.
The trek offers the view of solitary valleys, stunning glaciers, the natural beauty and wilderness that lies in the Everest region. In this trek, you also get to enjoy the amazing hospitality of the Sherpa communities. The route leads you through rhododendron and conifer forest to the yak herder’s settlements of the sacred lake in Gokyo valley.
Overall, the Everest Gokyo trek is ideal for people who want to trek in the Everest region, yet want more variety of views and fewer nights spent at very high altitude.
Table of Contents
Highlights of the Trek
- Adventurous and scenic flight to Lukla from Kathmandu.
- Stand at the shores of a chain of six turquoises, glacial-fed lakes
- Hike along Ngozumpa Glacier, the largest glacier in the Himalaya
- Avoid the Everest crowds, but enjoy the selection of great views
- Climb Gokyo Ri (5,357 m) for spectacular views of Everest, Lhotse, and Cho Oyu
- Trek through the Sherpa town of Khumjung, home of a ‘real’ yeti skull
- From ‘Scoundrel’s viewpoint’ near the fifth lake, peer over a wasteland of rock and ice that is the vast Ngozumpa Glacier
Everest Gokyo Trek Itinerary
Allow us to usher you through two itineraries to choose from for Everest Gokyo trek.
Gokyo Lake Trek
The Gokyo lakes trek rewards you with beautiful views of the mountain peaks and the Ngozumpa Glacier.
It starts with a breathtaking flight between the mountains to the airport at Lukla. It, then, follows the Everest Base Camp route before leaving the other trekkers behind and heading out to the Gokyo Valley.
Day 1: Welcome to Nepal
Today we will meet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel. You can spend the rest of the day relaxing.
In the evening you can take a stroll to the bustling streets of Thamel. Thamel has an array of restaurants, bars, and shops where you can satisfy your hunger or get some recreation.
Accommodation: Kathmandu 3-star hotel.
Day 2: Meeting with Trekking Guide, Last Minute Shopping for Your Trek and Kathmandu Sightseeing.
You will meet with the trekking guide and do the last minute shopping for your trek in the shops of Thamel.
Later you will get to explore Kathmandu and do some sightseeing of various Hindu and Buddhist religious places that come under the world heritage sites.
Day 3: Flight to Lukla (45 minutes/ 2840m) and Trek to Phakding( 2610m) Walk Approx 3-4hrs
This day consists of the early morning flight to Lukla. In this adventurous flight, you will get to witness scenic mountain views. This will take around 45 minutes.
Later that day you will trek approx 3-4 hours. This trek will be an easy walk on the legendary trail through the Sherpa villages with its exceptional beauty. The view of stunning Dudh Koshi Gorge, landscape and a deep valley is simply unique.
- Beautiful walk through the series of stunning settlement
- The spectacular beauty, deep gorge and farming terraces at the backdrop.
- Overnight stay at Phakding with delicious dinner.
Day 4: Namche Bazaar (3440m) Walk Approx 6 hrs.
Today’s trek will include long hours of walk, so be sure to give time to your body to adapt to the thin air as you go higher. The trek will be adventurous and will offer you an experience of a lifetime.
- 3 hours of gentle walk through a series of pleasant villages to Jorsale
- Crossing 5 high suspension bridges
- Amazing landscape consisting of a deep gorge, soaring cliffs
- Great view of Kusum Kangro, Thamserku and holy Khumbila mountain
Day 5: The World’s Highest Hotel (3962m), Khumjung Village (3790m)and Back to Namche Bazaar.
This trek will lead you to hilly and grassy trails, some steep inclines and flat tracks.
- Magnificent view of Everest, Lhotse Shar, Taboche Peak, and Ama Dablam
- Explore Khumjung Edmund Hillary School, Sherpa museum, shops and markets around Namche Bazaar.
Day 6: Phortse Thanga(3680m) walk approx 4hrs
The trek from Namche Bazaar to Phortse Thang lasts approx 4 hours.
- Climb the Khumjung hill descend to Dudh Koshi
- Chorten on the ridge top at 3973m which descends from Mt.Khumbila.
- Visit Mojang, the birthplace of the reincarnated Lama of Rongbuk Monastery of Tibet.
- Descend in a series of steep switchbacks down a sandy slope to the Dudh Koshi.
- Overnight at Phortse Thanga.
Day 7: Machherma(4470m) Walk Approx 5 hrs
From Phortse Thang it is an uphill climb to Machhermo.
- Walk alongside a rhododendron forest and pass through a waterfall before reaching Tongba village.
- Pass through Dole, Labarma, and Luza villages.
- Chhorten right before Luza village
- Overnight at Machhermo
Day 8: Gokyo (4790m) Walk Approx 5 hrs
Today’s trek is moderate to difficult where you will walk approx 5 hours.
- Excellent view down the valley to Kangtega and Cho Oyu.
- Ngozumpa Glacier
- Explore the sacred lakes like Longpongo, Taboche, Tsho Dudh Pokhari etc
- Observe Lama footprints on a stone.
- Witness the Gokyo Village with Cho Oyu mountain as a backdrop.
- Overnight at Gokyo
Day 9: Gokyo Ri (5360m) and Back to Gokyo, Walk Approx 8 hrs
Today’s trek is going to be difficult to strenuous with approx 8 hours of walk. Don’t forget to take rest and drink plenty of water.
- Hike to Gokyo Ri (a small peak above Gokyo village)
- Spectacular views of four of the seven highest peaks, Cho Oyu, Everest, Lhotse, and Makalu.
- Reaching the fourth lake, Thonak Tsho and additional hike to the fifth lake, Ngozumba Tso.
- The Ngozumpa glacier, the longest glacier of the Himalayas.
- Overnight in Gokyo.
Day 10: Dole (4110m), Walk Approx 7 hrs
Today’s trek includes steep descents and glacial paths.
- Views of Longpongo and Taboche Tso of the Gokyo lakes
- Returning to lower altitudes
- Walking alongside the Ngozumpa glacier
- The villages of Machhermo and Luzo.
Day 11: Namche Bazaar (3440m) Walk Approx 6 hrs
Trek to Namche Bazaar consists of descents through the forest path. It includes approx 6 hours of easy to moderate walk.
- Magnificent mountain backdrop and pass through thick forests
- The vibrant atmosphere of Namche Bazaar with its array of bars, cafes, and restaurants
- Rhododendron and fir trees, wild mountain goats and Lophophorus bird
Day 12: Lukla (2840m) Walk Approx 7 hrs
Trek to Lukla will be by the banks of the rivers, stone steps, and some descents and lastly ascents up to Lukla. With today’s trek, you will have successfully completed the trek.
- The glistening river amidst a mountain backdrop
- Last day of walking in the Khumbu region.
- Thick forest, amazing views of mountains.
Day 13: Flight back to Kathmandu.
Today you will take the same scenic flight back to Kathmandu. Enjoy the flight as you take along beautiful memories from the trip.
Day 14: Free time
This day is for your recreation. You can spend the day shopping or take a relaxing massage that will relieve your stressed muscles from the trek.
Day 15: Departure.
Today is the day you will depart as we bid goodbye. Our representative will drive you to the airport and bid farewell.
Everest Base Camp and Gokyo Lake Trek via Cho La Pass
The Everest Base Camp and Gokyo Lakes Trek via Cho La pass is also known as Cho La Pass Trek or Everest Circuit trek. It is one of the most adventurous and challenging treks in the Everest Himalayas.
This trek has it all from high altitude trekking to spectacular views unbeatable anywhere else in the world. Kala Patthar is an epic viewpoint along the Everest Base Camp trek.
Here you also witness the welcoming culture of the Sherpa people.
From Gokyo village, you will immediately cross the Ngozumpa glacier. And then make a steep climb up the pass, before descending down to join the EBC trail.
Below we have the outline itinerary for this trek,
Day 1: Welcome to Nepal (1345m)
Day 2: Meeting with trekking guide, last minute shopping for your trek and Kathmandu sightseeing.
Day 3: Flight to Lukla (45 minutes 2840m) and trek to Phakding(2610m) walking hrs-3.
Day 4: Namche Bazaar (3440m), walking hrs-6
Day 5: The world’s highest hotel (3962m), Khumjung Village(3790m) and back to Namche Bazaar. (Acclimatization day.) walking hrs-4
Day 6: Thyangboche (380m) walking hrs-5
Day 7 & 8: Dingboche (4360m) walking hrs-5, Acclimatization day
Day 9: Lobuche (4940m) walking hrs-5
Day 10: Everest Base Camp (5300m) and Gorak Shep(5170m) walking hrs-8
Day 11: Kala Patthar(5545m) and Zongla(4830m),walking hrs-8
Day 12: Thangnak(4680m) via the Chola-la Pass(5368m), walking hrs-7
Day 13: Gokyo Valley (4790m) approx walking hrs-4
Day 14: Gokyo Ri (5357m) and back to Gokyo, approx walking hrs-6
Day 15: Dole (4110m), approx walking hrs-7
Day 16: Namche Bazaar (3440m), approx walking hrs-6
Day 17: Lukla (2840m) approx walking hrs-7
Day 18: Flight back to Kathmandu.
Day 19: Free time!
Day 20: Departure.
Return to Lukla via Renjo La
Renjo La pass gives an alternative way to the Gokyo trek making a circuit. Instead of returning back the same way to Namche Bazaar, from Gokyo valley you trek to Renjo La pass (west just above Gokyo village).
Further, you will descend down into a beautiful valley that eventually leads back to Namche Bazaar. From here you will follow the normal route back to Lukla.
At the pass, a great view of the Gokyo lakes on one side, the Remo Pokhari lakes on the other side and a numerous of snowy peaks are in the background. This provides an incredible atmosphere.
Renjo La Pass route is off-the-beaten route and takes you through beautiful Sherpa villages of Thame and Thamo.
Complete all “Three Passes”
You can also combine the Gokyo lake trek with the three passes trek. In this trek, you will cross the three challenging 5000m pass i.e Renjo La, Cho La, Kongma La.
Crossing the second of the three passes (counter-clockwise), Cho La, takes you to Gokyo village.
From there you can climb the Gokyo Ri and continue on to the upper lakes and follow the Gokyo Lakes route on your return journey to Lukla.
The three passes trek is the ultimate Everest experience and one of the most challenging tea house treks in Nepal.
Thus, if you want to combine these treks, it is best that you start on the three passes trek and then join the Gokyo Lake trek.
Request a Custom Itinerary
Besides the above itinerary, we also serve you packages based on your choice. We can customize an itinerary that’s unique and can extend or shorten the days according to your interest and time frame.
So, feel free to share us your preferences.
Everest Gokyo Lake trek is a marvelous adventure. A journey to explore that magical charm of spectacular glacial lakes.
This trek goes off the EBC trail from Namche Bazaar and is blissfully more peaceful with fewer trekkers exploring the region.
You can take the Everest Gokyo lake trek through various ways and even customize it according to your preference.
For further question and queries, please feel free to contact us. It is our pleasure to plan the trip for you according to your preference and make sure it is a successful one.